Bernardsville Public Library
Part-Time Youth Services Library Assistant: Early Literacy Emphasis
15-25 hours /week
Do you love working with babies, toddlers, and preschoolers? Are you passionate about literacy and early childhood learning? The award-winning Bernardsville Public Library is seeking outgoing, imaginative candidates with an emphasis on early literacy to continue to build our Youth Services Department, bring programs to life, promote collections, and respond to patrons. The ideal candidate will be fun and energetic with a sense of adventure balanced with patience, professionalism, excellent judgement, and a strong sense of responsibility.
Primary responsibilities include:
• Development and execution of programs including weekly baby, toddler, and preschool story times including age appropriate crafts and activities
• Assisting with programs for youth of all ages on an as needed basis
• Participating in collection development and reader’s advisory services for youth of all ages
• Assisting with major events such as the summer reading program and winter camp as well as one time large-scale programs such as Harry Potter’s birthday party and the World’s Fair; and
• Some substitution for circulation staff
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Interest in young children and children’s reading material, games, music and movies
• Ability to work well with other staff members and to collaborate on assignments and projects
• Ability to work independently to complete assignments and projects
• Creativity and interest in developing fun and educational programs for all age ranges with a primary focus on children from 0-5years of age
• Flexibility regarding schedule as well as work assignments
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS
• Professional experience working with children ages 0-5 years in an educational, library, or recreational setting
• College degree
• Approximate work hours are 9:00 am-1:00 pm Monday, Wednesday and Thursday; 6:00-9:00 pm Tuesday; 10:00 am-5:00 pm, Friday; plus some weekend hours.
ADDITIONAL SKILLS AND EXPERIENCE
This position supports a wide range of services for the Youth Services Department as well as the Library. Any of the following skills/experiences are a plus:
• Working or volunteering in a library
• Working with special needs populations
• Working with people whose first language is not English
• Working in customer service
• Website maintenance
• Copy editing and proof reading
• Competence using social media.
Please submit your resume and letter of interest to email@example.com by January 24. Include which position you are interested in and where you saw the job advertisement. No phone calls, please.