Prorated vacation and sick leave
The Programming Librarian develops, organizes, implements, supervises and evaluates a variety of program activities and services for adults, seniors, and occasionally other groups. The programming librarian researches, schedules, plans, organizes, develops program ideas, develops materials, coordinates program logistics as appropriate, and presents instructional programs for the above mentioned populations. They participate in the development and monitoring of program budget and activity reports; maintain accurate records and generate reports involving expenditures and program performance.
They will promote programs and services to the public by implementing initiatives to meet the Library’s outreach, communications, and promotional needs via a variety of print and online venues including email, social media, websites, digital signage, press releases, posters, fliers, displays and more.
The successful candidate must have excellent communication skills and a passion for marketing. The ability to both work independently and interact effectively with staff in a professional and positive manner is expected.
Applicants must possess the willingness to learn new skills, good judgment and initiative. Experience required with computer software in a Windows environment, focusing on software for use in the creation of marketing and publicity materials (knowledge of Microsoft Office required; knowledge of Canva is desirable). Knowledge of social media marketing practices highly desirable. Experience in a public library or related non-profit is preferred.
College graduate (Bachelor-level degree required)
MLIS or currently an active student in an accredited MLIS program
Must be able to work a flexible schedule to accommodate library programs.
JOB DUTIES (INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO:)
1. Research, coordinate, and implement programs and services suited to the needs of teens and adults.
2. Utilize community resources and organizational support in delivery of program services.
3. Work directly with library administration, staff, and the public, involving them in planning and development of programs.
4. Work effectively Outreach staff to market programs and services using all available media (print, electronic, etc.)
5. Develop and maintain the event calendar that covers library programming throughout Roxbury Township
6. Organizes concerts, lectures, art exhibitions and other events of interest to adults
7. Works with the Friends of the Roxbury Library and other local groups
8. Schedules use of meeting rooms with local community groups
9. Answers reference questions covering a wide range of difficulty
10. Provides reader’s advisory services
11. Assists patrons in making effective use of library technology (public PCs, scanner/printer/photocopier, fax machine, wifi)
12. Continues to develop skills by attending seminars and meetings of professional library groups and organizations for the purpose of keeping current with scientific and technical developments. Works with professional associations toward the improvement of methods and techniques of library services.
13. Stays knowledgeable with current events, popular and local culture. Prepares clear, accurate and informative narrative and statistical reports.
14. Comprehends, analyzes and interprets rules, regulations, policies and procedures of the library.
15. Organizes materials and resources using appropriate systems of access that are compatible with patrons’ needs and styles of learning.
16. Gives talks before groups, organizations, patrons and co-workers.
17. Publicizes Library news, activities, programs and events targeted at all age levels through various media channels, including print and online
18. Collects, writes and curates inspiring content for newsletters, press releases, email campaigns and social media that increase the Library’s reach and engagement with its subscribers, fans, and followers
19. Designs fliers, posters, reports, infographics, website, social media and email content, and other marketing materials to clearly convey the Library’s message to the community
20. Coordinates the production of the newsletters, email, posters, promotional materials, website content, and other PR and marketing materials in a team-based environment
21. Promotes and advocate library awareness and use; assists in developing targeted messages about Library issues
22. Stays abreast of current latest developments in marketing, publicity and public relations
23. Other duties as assigned.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES
1. Knowledge of the theories, objectives, principles and techniques of librarianship.
2. Knowledge of reference sources.
3. Ability to work harmoniously with coworkers, members of the public, administration, outside groups and other stakeholders.
4. Presents welcoming behaviors and practices effective interviewing skills to best determine the patron’s actual needs.
5. Positive, creative, and collaborative mindset
6. Excellent writing and editing skills
7. Strong graphic design sense
8. Working knowledge of typical office software used in a Windows environment
9. Knowledge of marketing via social media channels
10. Experience in developing, implementing, and assessing successful marketing strategies strongly preferred
11. Knowledge of Constant Contact, Mailchimp, or similar email platform preferred
12. Experience with any content management system preferred
13. Thinks strategically and creatively
14. Communicates ideas clearly and compellingly both orally, in writing and visually
15. Exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to foster strong business relationships
16. Manages multiple projects, priorities, and deadlines in a fast-paced, multifaceted environment; adapts to changing priorities
17. Communicates effectively with internal and external stakeholders, administrators and colleagues
18. Ability to work well within multiple teams, as well as autonomously
19. Highly organized with good attention to detail and the ability to work under pressure, multi-task and juggle a variety of projects in a solution-oriented manner
Send a cover letter, resume, and three references to Radwa Ali, Director at email@example.com