Rockaway Borough Free Public Library
Rockaway, New Jersey
Job Title: Library Director
Essential Functions of the Job
The Library Director is responsible for the management of all aspects of the library system and services, including but not limited to: policies and procedures, personnel, library collections, online circulation, technical services, readers’ advisory, reference services, technology, digital content, equipment, budget and finance, building and grounds, programming, community engagement and marketing.
• Establishes, formulates and recommends policies and procedures to the Library Board. Implements and reviews library policies, procedures, and practices.
• Assists the Library Board in developing short-term and long-term plans that promote and support the organization’s missions and goals.
• Interviews, hires, trains, supervises, and evaluates library staff, and recommends to the Board the hiring and termination of employees. Writes and recommends the updating of job descriptions to the Board.
• Selects book and media materials from reviews and catalogs, including approving all material orders.
• Plans shelf arrangement; maintains current and archival collections by weeding, replacing, repairing, and organizing materials.
• Knowledge and supervision of all aspects of the online catalog, including processing, linking, cataloging, and classification.
• Oversees all aspects of online circulation procedures, including charging, discharging, fines/fees, holds/reserves, borrower registration, etc.
• Assists patrons in locating and selecting items and in using the online catalog and other online resources.
• Demonstrates knowledge of latest technology available and necessary to provide library services.
• Selects, contracts, manages, and markets all digital content for public use.
• Reference work; assists patrons and staff at all levels.
• Selects supplies and equipment, including approving all orders.
• Oversees maintenance of building and grounds.
• Works with Board-approved auditors on annual audit.
• Bookkeeping includes processing of invoices and bills and presentations of Bills List for payment at Board of Trustees’ meetings.
• Banking includes reconciling savings/checking accounts and overseeing accurate handling of fine/copier funds, in accordance with auditors’ procedures.
• Maintains accurate financial records, in accordance with auditors’ procedures.
• Prepares annual budget, includes setting budget category funding requirements and salary levels, for approval by Library Board.
• Responsible for maintaining proper and accurate use of budgeted and nonbudgeted funds.
• Reviews budget status in each category and stays within designated amounts.
• Prepares monthly statistics and reports for Library Board of Trustees meeting, includes Notices to Trustees, Agenda, Director’s Report, Treasurer’s Report and Bills List, Sunshine Ads, with the Board President.
• Attends Library Board of Trustees meetings.
• Attends meetings, workshops, conferences, seminars/webinars, and continuing education courses, as required to keep informed on the latest developments in the library field. (Upon Board approval).
• Oversees museum maintenance and local history files.
• Plans and implements marketing materials and accounts for the Library (press releases, notices, newsletters, and all social media).
• Performs community engagement (includes school visits, online catalog and internet training, library card sign-ups, and Friends of the Library liaison) via in-person visits and social media.
• Shops for specialty items.
• Handles mail, organizes office files.
• Receives salespeople and community members.
• Director should assure the Board that an effective succession plan is in place should the Director leave for any reason.
• At the suggestion of the Board, it would be advantageous for the Director to provide sixty (60) days’ notice prior to anticipated departure.
• Commitment to the mission and philosophy of public library service.
• Excellent leadership skills.
• Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
• Ability to work effectively with library trustees, elected officials, and community groups.
• Ability to supervise and motive library staff and volunteers.
• Ability to perform the physical demands of the job, which are detailed during the interview/hiring process.
• An ALA accredited degree or a Professional Librarian’s Certificate issued by the New Jersey Department of Education.
• Continuing education in the areas of current library services and technology.
• Active participation in professional library associations and community organizations. Current knowledge of library trends, innovations, and developments.
Priority will be given to candidates whose resumes are received by November 16, 2020.
Salary range of $66,000 to $81,000 commensurate with experience.
For consideration, please send/email cover letter, resume and references to:
Angela Dzikowski, Pro Libra Associates email@example.com
Rockaway Borough Free Public Library is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, race, color, religion, national origin, or any other characteristic protected by law.