DIRECTOR, PARSIPPANY TROY HILLS PUBLIC LIBRARY
The Board of Trustees of the Parsippany Troy Hills Public Library (NJ) seeks an innovative and experienced Director to manage the Library’s 3 locations and to ensure that Morris County’s busiest public library continues to improve, innovate and grow as the town’s most popular and revered destinations by an increasingly diverse population.
Responsibilities: The Library Director reports to a nine-person Board of Trustees and is responsible for the overall management and direction of the Library through the collaboration and support of a talented and knowledgeable staff. Specific responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Establishes, formulates and recommends policies to the Library Board. Reviews policies with the library attorney. Implements and reviews Library policies, procedures and practices.
• Interprets policies to the Library staff and the general public.
• Creates a culture that promotes positive change and a climate for excellence through the recruitment, hiring, training, supervision and evaluation of professional and support staff.
• Assists the Library Board in developing a strategic plan that promotes and supports the
organization’s mission and vision. Prepares annual operating and capital budgets that reflect the Library’s mission.
• Prepares for and attends all Library Board meetings and Board Committee meetings.
• Conducts and attends regularly scheduled staff, department heads and managers meetings.
• Creates an environment that welcomes diversity and promotes literacy.
• Promotes intellectual freedom and equal access to information.
• Communicates the value of library and information services verbally and in writing to the general public and to decision-makers. Studies the community and directs the development of a balanced program of library and informational services designed to meet the needs of all the people in the community.
• Establishes and maintains effective work relationships with the Board of Trustees, Township officials, Township departmental personnel, Friends of the Library, community organizations, schools and school related groups, library associates and the general public.
• Serves on committees or boards of community and service organizations, and library and local governmental groups.
• Encourages and supports outreach efforts to the underserved and non-user populations.
The Parsippany Troy Hills Public Library: Anchored by a beautiful 38,000 sf main library facility, the Parsippany Troy Hills Public Library serves a population of 54,000 through the main library and 2 branches. The library’s 24 full-time and 31 part-time employees as well as many dedicated volunteers help make the library an outstanding public institution. The Library has a 2020 operating budget of $3.3 million and is a member of the 37 member Morris Automated Information Network (MAIN). The Library has applied for NJ State funding to assist in the possible construction of a new branch facility in Lake Hiawatha. The new Library Director will be following the footsteps of its retiring director who over the course of 30 years has guided the Library Board and staff in making the library a first-rate informational and cultural institution.
The Parsippany Community: Located in Morris County, New Jersey, Parsippany has often been recognized as one of the best places to live in the U.S. with numerous parks and recreational facilities, good schools and libraries, and low crime. The township is situated at the crossroads of major highways and frequent bus and train service provides easy access to New York City and other major cities.
Qualifications: An ALA-accredited Master’s Degree in Library Science, a New Jersey librarian certificate issued by Thomas Edison State University (or eligibility for immediately acquiring one) and a minimum of eight (8) years of increasing responsible public library experience with a demonstrated record of significant success in the supervision of administration and library operations. Preference will be given to candidates with Director or Assistant Director experience.
In addition to fulfilling the major responsibilities and qualifications of this position, the successful candidate will also be an effective library leader and demonstrate the ability to secure the Library as the major cultural, intellectual, and social heart of Parsippany.
Other Important Information: New Jersey residency is required within one year of the date of hire. Successful completion of a criminal background check is also required. The projected starting date is September 16, 2020.
Compensation: The salary range for this position is $100,000 – $132,000. There is a generous health insurance package that includes low deductibles and co-pays that is subject to a NJ State mandated employee contribution. Membership in the New Jersey Public Employee Retirement System is mandatory.
Applications: To apply, submit via e-mail a meaningful cover letter, resume, and the contact information of three (3) quality job references (that if possible should include a current or former board member or supervisor) to the search committee at DirectorSearch@parsippanylibrary.org by June 26, 2020. Applications received after that date may not be considered. The Parsippany Public Library is subject to the regulations of the NJ Civil Service Commission and is an ADA/EOE compliant employer.