Keyport Public Library
Supervisor Library Board of Trustees
Hours of Work Salaried, Full Time
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES: The work requires that the employee have thorough knowledge, skill and ability in every phase of the public library field. The Keyport Public Library is a small library serving a community of 7,000 people. Based on the size of the library, the Director must be able to function in every position in the library, from administrative duties, to answering reference questions, to even assisting patrons on computers. The position is also invested with making the most difficult library technical decisions and being the face of the library.
Primary Function Under the direction of the Library Board of Trustees, develops, administers, supervises, and coordinates the work of the Library and staff, performs managerial duties related to personnel, budget, collection development, building maintenance, and library operations and services in conformity of the policies established by the Board of Trustees and the regulations of the New Jersey State Library.
Qualifications, Education, Experience, and Skills Required
• A Master’s Degree in Library Science from an accredited college or university,
• Three – five years of progressively responsible library administration experience including at least three years in a supervisory capacity,
• Excellent communication skills and organizational skills,
• Ability to administer the activities of a public library and to supervise the work of others,
• Ability to develop short and long term development, plans, and objectives,
• Maintains knowledge of standard library principles and practices, concepts of freedom of speech, copyrights, collection development, patron confidentiality, censorship, and other library ethical issues,
• Proficiency with computers, popular library software, internet and digital communications,
• Thorough ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with superiors, subordinates, associates, officials of other agencies, and the general public,
• A valid driver’s license.
1. Overall Duties
• Plans, implements, and evaluates library services,
• Develops, implements, and evaluates long and short term goals and objectives in coordination with the strategic plan,
• Develops and administers policies concerning library operations, budgets and programs,
• Handles complaints in accordance with policy,
• Prepares the annual budget and presents and defends budget requests before the Library Board,
• Directs and controls the expenditure of fund allocations within constraints of approved budgets,
• Prepares monthly and annual financial and statistical reports to Library Board, Town officials and State Library,
• Attends monthly Board of Trustee meetings,
• Accepts and acknowledges gifts of money and library materials,
• Pursues and applies for grant money,
• Cooperates with community groups and town officials to implement library services,
• Prepares questionnaires and surveys to evaluate public responses to the library,
• Maintains knowledge of new developments in the library profession, including technological advances, through professional development opportunities, including but not limited to participation in activities of professional organizations and networks and of the New Jersey State Library,
• Maintains membership in professional organizations,
• Provides reference and reader’s advisory services to patrons as needed and other related responsibilities as necessary such as circulation.
2. Supervisory Duties
• Supervises the library staff, directly or through appropriate delegation, to create a harmonious team environment,
• Organizes, trains, assigns, and evaluates personnel and volunteers,
• Recruits and recommends employment of library personnel recommends promotions, transfers, or termination of staff,
• Conducts staff meetings.
3. Collection Development and Physical Space Duties
• Purchases new equipment and furnishings,
• Supervises maintenance of library building equipment, and furnishings,
• Oversees equipment of furnishings and book collection,
• Evaluates collection for balance and comprehensiveness.
• Ability to perform duties in an office environment
• Ability to work in an environment subject to continuous interruptions and background noises
• Ability to work under stress from deadlines, public contact, and changing priorities, and conditions
• Ability to operate computers with proficiency using library software, word processing, and the Internet
• Ability to view a computer monitor and/or operate a keyboard for extended periods of time
• Ability to move and/or lift materials up to 25 pounds
• Regularly required to stand, walk, bend, kneel, crawl, reach, climb, balance, and sit
• Ability to read printed materials and information on computer screens
• Ability to communicate effectively with individuals in person, over the telephone, and via the printed word
• Ability to file books, periodicals, files, reports, notebooks, etc. on shelves ranging from 1 to 7 feet from the floor
• Ability to work flexible hours to observe library during all hours of public operation
• Ability to travel to attend meetings both inside and outside of Keyport.
This job description is not, nor is it intended to be, a complete statement of all duties, functions and responsibilities that comprise this position.
Starting salary is commensurate with experience starting at $55,000 and includes generous benefits.
How to apply:
To apply and for inquiries please send cover letter, resume, and references to: Keyport Personnel Committee at email@example.com.
Job Application Deadline:
Monday, September 30, 2019 or until filled.