FULL TIME – LIBRARY ASSOCIATE (Adult Services)
The Hunterdon County Library (HCL) is seeking an energetic team-oriented candidate with a strong public service commitment to take the lead in organizing and the development and coordination of events and patron services for the Adult Services Department. This position reports to the Head of the Adult Services Department and will help the library meet the goals and objectives in our strategic plan, http://www.hclibrary.us/pdfs/library/strategicplan2021to2024.pdf. The library encourages candidates currently pursuing a Masters in Library Science or Information Sciences to apply. This position works at both the Headquarters Library in Flemington and the North County Branch in Clinton.
The Hunterdon County Library System consists of two regional libraries, one small satellite library, a mobile bookmobile and ongoing support to seven affiliated libraries within the County of Hunterdon. The current staff consists of over 70 full and part-time employees. Details about the Hunterdon Library can be found at: http://www.hclibrary.us/
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
· Confers with professional librarian or other supervisory official regarding the establishment of proper standards and recommendations for the organization and implementation of the technical aspects of the library or program area.
· Takes the lead in developing and implementing programs for the public.
· Oversees specific library collections and updates holdings by removing obsolete materials and recommending new titles and equipment.
· Takes the lead in tasks assigned to support staff and volunteers.
· Participates in the training of patrons and staff on the use of library resources.
· Participates in library committees and teams.
· Provides basic reader advisory to patrons seeking aid in the selection of reading materials.
· Conducts tours of the library facility.
· Answers basic reference questions.
· Conducts or prepares the content and arrangement of library materials for displays, exhibits and library programs.
· Prepares technical, financial, statistical and other reports.
· Graduation from an accredited college or university with a Bachelor’s degree.
Appointee will be required to possess a driver’s license valid in the State of New Jersey only if the operation of a vehicle, rather than employee mobility, is necessary to perform the essential duties of the position.
KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
· Knowledge of techniques used to gather data and information.
· Ability to communicate effectively both orally and in writing.
· Ability to instruct others in the use of research methods and tools.
· Ability to compile data.
· Ability to provide reader’s advisory after a period of training.
· Ability to conduct surveys and studies and prepare reports.
· Ability to maintain records and files.
· Ability to utilize various types of electronic and/or manual recording and information systems used by the agency, office, or related units.
· Ability to read, write, speak, understand, and communicate in English sufficiently to perform duties of this position. American Sign Language or Braille may also be considered as acceptable forms of communication.
· Persons with mental or physical disabilities are eligible as long as they can perform essential functions of the job after reasonable accommodation is made to their known limitations. If the accommodation cannot be made because it would cause the employer undue hardship, such persons may not be eligible.
The Library Associate title is a Civil Service governed job position and additional information can be found at https://info.csc.state.nj.us/jobspec/02288.htm
Hunterdon County Library offers medical, dental and prescription benefits, vision plan, deferred compensation, paid sick, vacation, personal and holiday leave.
· Monday 9AM – 5PM
· Tuesday 1:30PM – 9PM
· Wednesday 9AM – 5PM
· Thursday 9AM – 5PM
· Friday 9AM – 5PM
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
November 6th, 2020
HOW TO APPLY
Interested applicants should mail a cover letter and resume to Human Resources at 71 Main Street, PO Box 2900, Flemington, NJ 08822 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org