Library Assistant (Part-Time)
The Chester Library is seeking a dedicated, positive, energetic, and service-oriented individual to join our Library as a Library Assistant. The ideal candidate must enjoy working with the public and possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
This is a part-time job with 12 regularly scheduled hours per week and Saturday and Sunday rotations. An evening shift is part of the schedule.
• Circulation desk duties:
• Charge and discharge materials, issue library cards, reserve items, respond to patron account questions, and empty and discharge book drop.
• Collect money for fines and lost materials.
• Work with other Library Assistants to ensure that the desk is always covered.
• Assist patrons in finding information and resources through the online catalog, Internet and online databases, providing instruction when appropriate. Ask other library staff for help when necessary.
• Stay informed about library programs and services and market and promote them to library patrons where appropriate.
• Process newspapers and mail.
• Shelve library materials, straighten books on shelves, and perform shelf-reading duties as assigned and when necessary.
• Process new materials including labeling, covering and linking in on-line catalog.
• Perform additional duties as needed or as assigned, including any task necessary to help insure patron safety and smooth operation of the library.
• High school diploma; advanced education a plus.
• Good computer skills are essential. Ability to effectively use the Internet, email, electronic databases, Microsoft Office applications, social media and other library related programs; familiarity with Polaris a plus.
• Ability to communicate effectively in written and oral form; ability to respond to or handle difficult situations effectively in cooperation with other staff; ability to work effectively as a team member.
Send resume and references to Lesley.Karczewski@chesterlib.org