The Bernards Township Library in Basking Ridge, New Jersey has an immediate opening for an experienced and friendly candidate to lead a vibrant Circulation Department as a full-time Supervising Librarian. The successful librarian candidate will serve the general public with a blend of diplomacy, hospitality and understanding, while upholding the policies and objectives of the library. This is an outstanding opportunity to work with an enthusiastic and collaborative library team.
The Library is a vibrant and active cultural center in an increasingly diverse community and is valued and appreciated by Township residents for its wide range of materials and services. Bernards Township Library is an active member of MAIN, Inc., a consortium of 37 libraries and branches using a shared Polaris/LEAP system.
The Supervising Librarian, Adult Circulation, will supervise, lead and inspire the staff at the adult circulation desk and work with them to help achieve the mission and vision of the library.
Qualifications & Skills
• MLIS degree from an ALA-accredited library and information sciences graduate program required.
• New Jersey State Professional Librarian Certificate is required.
• Two or more years of supervisory experience in a library.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and a devotion to serving the public.
• Ability to form strong relationships with coworkers and be highly collaborative.
• Strong knowledge of circulation tasks and procedures.
• Experience using Polaris/LEAP is desirable.
• Experience with collection development, including weeding and the purchasing of materials.
• Attention to detail and strong aptitude in written and oral communication.
• Knowledge of current library and publishing trends, specifically within adult library services.
• Complete ease in the use of computers and digital devices is essential.
• Reviews circulation procedures on an ongoing basis and makes recommendations for change based upon community needs, patron requests and information in trade journals.
• Provides exemplary customer service to internal and external patrons.
• Updates job descriptions and interviews, trains and evaluates circulation staff through formal and informal evaluations.
• Holds regularly scheduled staff meetings.
• Keeps employees informed about entire library operations, goals and objectives.
• Trains and supervises circulation staff in library skills and customer-friendly initiatives.
• Delegates responsibility appropriately and supervises staff constructively.
• Writes a monthly activity report for the Library Board of Trustees packet.
• Selects and orders materials in assigned subjects and genres.
• Fills in as a Reference Librarian as needed.
• Available to work one evening per week, and weekend rotation.
• Performs other duties as assigned by Library Director.
This position includes a competitive annual salary, commensurate with experience. A generous benefits package is included. Continuing professional development and educational opportunities provided.
For consideration please send a meaningful cover letter and resume to Lyn Begraft, Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.